Friday, April 30, 2010

What's in a name?

The definition of GodMother according to Wikipedia is:

Traditionally, godparents were informally responsible for ensuring the child's religious education was carried out, and for caring for the child should they be orphaned. Today, the word godparent might not have explicitly religious overtones. The modern view of a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development.

What does a GodMother or Father mean to you? and I don't mean this one:

My husband has the best GodMother ever. She sends a card for every holiday, always gives Aaron and I really generous holiday gifts, calls to check in when we are in town, always offers a big hug to us both when we see her, and most importantly is honestly interested in our life in Charleston and asks about our hopes and dreams.

She is the sweetest. Let's just call her Mrs. J.

Her husband is also pretty awesome. He is the quiet type, but with the best Smile and a great laugh.

I have not told you the best part about Mrs. J yet.

She makes her own cards.

Yes, she is crafty and oh so talented.

She recycles invitations, cuts them up, and creates her own card for you to go with your gift.

For my bridal shower she used the invitation to the shower for my card.

She cut it up re-used the letters, graphics, etc and voila a new card was born and there you go!

The first time she did this for me, I felt something familiar. As I looked closer I realized what she had done and everyone at the party was amazed.

The card got passed around and placed next to the invitation as a comparison.

I have tried to use her crafty idea a time or two, but I don't even think the recipient even noticed. After all that hard work and no recognition. Bummer.
(I must have not done a good enough job.)

This idea is very time consuming, atleast for me. I struggle in the arts and crafts department, but worth it.

I think we all like to know that someone took the time to make us smile. So the next time you receive an invite that you covet, turn it into your own masterpiece and make someone smile.

Cheers to Mrs. J and other God Parents for the responsibility they hold.
KHAK

No comments:

Post a Comment