Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Doin' it for my Motha'

So my Mom was just diagnosed with celiac disease, so she has to change her diet drastically.

By drastically, I mean, she has to have a completely gluten-free diet.

To me this sounds really boring and dull, so I took it upon myself to try out a few gluten-free recipes for her.

We were having a cookout so I figured this was the perfect time since I had "taste testers" coming over.

This recipe is linked to Gluten-Free Goddess

Lime Quinoa Salad with Mint
1 cup dry quinoa
2 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 2 limes
2-3 fresh mint sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves or parsley
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
A handful of sweet and ripe cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons diced red onion- or use 2 chopped scallions
1 garlic clove, minced

Cook the dry quinoa as you would raw rice: in 2 and 1/2 cups fresh salted water, covered, until all of the water is absorbed. Scoop the cooked quinoa into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, tossing lightly with a fork until combined. Taste test and adjust seasonings.

Cover and chill for at least two hours. Let the flavors mingle and get happy. I think this salad tastes even better the second day. Makes 4-6 servings.

This was plenty for the 7 of us with plenty left over as a side dish.

The flavor of the mint and lime was delicious and perfectly light.

If you have never cooked or eaten quinoa don't be frightened, you cook it just like rice and a little goes a very very long way.

Note: I used my red vintage pyrex dish! I also bought two more this weekend when I went antiquing. Hip Hip Hooray.

I am loving these dishes and patterns!

Happy Week,
KHAK

No comments:

Post a Comment