Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Too much is never a bad thing...

The other night I baked a Spaghetti Squash to accompany our Sheepshead Fish and Roasted Broccoli dinner.

If you have ever baked a spaghetti squash you know how far one can go.

We had so much left over and I did not want to waste it, so after cleaning up the dishes, I did what I do best GOOGLE!

I found a Sante Fe Spaghetti Squash Casserole.

It sounded good, so I gave it a try last night.

I substituted a few ingredients and added a little bit of shredded cheese to the top (Did this for the husband, he was already upset that Meat was NOT involved in his dinner)

I did hear a scream from the other room, "Smells good in there!"

That always makes me smile, and also makes me think "Hope it tastes as good as it smells!"

I thought it turned out great and I do recommend this recipe for leftover spaghetti squash.

Two lessons here:

1. Try spaghetti squash, it is an awesome pasta substitute and is a Veggie!

2. Don't throw away leftovers, there is always something you can do with them!

Onion and Green Pepper

The ingredients

The Mix

Spaghetti Squash Mixed In

Adding the toppings

Out of the Oven and Half-Eaten

My portion, a little blurry

I found this recipe here

1 medium spaghetti squash
olive oil spray
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 (14-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
2/3 cup sweet corn
2/3 cup thawed chopped spinach
1 tsp chili powder, or curry, to taste
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup bread crumbs (or tortilla chip crumbs)
1/2 cup pine nuts or pecans, if desired

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Halve and roast the squash in a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes until fork tender. Cool. Scrape out the squash halves with a fork (in strands) and place the squash in a bowl.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

4. Spray a large skillet with the olive oil spray and sauté the onion, chili and red pepper over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the drained beans, green chilies, corn, chopped spinach, and chili powder; heat through 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the cooked squash, cilantro, lime juice, and sea salt. Spoon the squash mixture into a casserole or baking dish sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.

5. Top with bread crumbs and pine nuts.

6. Bake at 350 degrees for twenty to thirty minutes – until the casserole is heated through and bubbling around the edges.

7. Serve with Spanish rice.

Note:: This dish is easily converted to gluten-free: substitute the bread crumbs with gluten-free bread crumbs or corn tortilla chip crumbs.

Servings: 4

My changes:
I used a green pepper, used Walnuts instead of Pecans, and Added cheese for the melt flavor with the Tortilla chips!

Also note it says serves four, more like 15 in my casserole dish! Not sure how we are going to eat this by Thanksgiving.

Happy Dinner,
KHAK

No comments:

Post a Comment