Friday, April 9, 2010

exciting news....

Happy Friday everyone!

I have a very special occasion planned tonight and I am so excited about it! It's a secret until tomorrow. I can't wait to tell you all about it! Stay tuned.....

In light of my surprise event, I am going to share with you my first DIY project. I know I am little delayed, well a lot delayed, with this but here it is.

My DIY project was to make a corkboard with fabric and ribbon on it. This was my inspiration...

Linen Pinboard from Pottery Barn @ $54/each.

I saw this in my winter Pottery Barn magazine and I figured I could make my own for half the price.

I decided to try a round shape for something different. I get bored by squares and rectangles all the time.
I went to Michael's arts and crafts store to buy the cork board, got the burlap fabric,ribbon and staple gun from A.C. Moore.

This project was pretty easy, except for the part of stretching the burlap tight. This was not the best choose in fabric for stretching smoothly, but I wanted the rustic feel and I love burlap. It is cheap cheap and looks cool.
My favorite BBQ joint has burlap sacks hanging from the ceiling and I love it!
Can't get enough of burlap!

Corkboard


Burlap


Adding the fabric

Pulled tight

Added the ribbon. Final product. Voila! Now it is ready to add invites, notes, bills to it!

I love how this keeps all of my invites together and also takes the photos away from the side of the fridge. The husband loves filling it with pictures, etc but I like to keep in clean and simple so this works for both us. I have this on his desk in the office so he can look at the photos there as much as he wants. It's all about compromise, right?

I hope you enjoyed my first DIY project. Simple but cost-saving brilliance at its best!
KHAK

1 comment:

  1. This looks great. I need to do this because our fridge is chaos central!

    ReplyDelete