Sunday, August 1, 2010

I waited 5 years for this?

We consider ourselves "fly-by-the-seat-of-our pants" people so we woke up Saturday morning and headed out on an adventure.

I had a few things in mind that I wanted to accomplish along the way of our "local" road trip.

First, we headed to Myrtle Beach in search of a dump trailer for Aaron's landscaping biz. He found it on craigslist and wanted to see it in person.

Sounds good to me.

I on the other hand, said "ok, let's make a day of it".

You see, there is a "famous" barbeque joint in Holly Hill, SC that I have always wanted to go to.

In the five years that I have lived here the timing has never allowed me to visit this juncture.

I said, let's make a detour and head there after Myrtle?

We thought what the heck, ok.

This place is known for their all you can eat buffett as well as their sweet sweet tea and banana pudding.

You pay $0.71 extra for the puddin'. It must be worth it right?

We drove three hours out of our way to go to Sweatman's

The online reviews, plus personal references have proved that it is worth it.

Sweatman's is only 45 minutes from Downtown Charleston but since we took the scenic country route from Myrtle Beach, it was 3 hours out of the way.

As we drove into the quaint very small town of Holly Hill, Aaron started pumping me up about this place.

The fried chicken, the barbeque, the ribs, he went on and on and on.

We came around the bend of the country road.......

We found this....

and this.....

Holy heck!
You've got to be kidding me..
Of ALL the days that we could have picked to drive here, this is what we find. They close the last week in July every year.

A few locals let us in on that.

Aaron had talked this place up more than Wally World.

Aaron is known to act like Clark with his Christmas lights, crazy antics, and ridiculous outburts.

I wasn't sure how he was going to react.

We could not stop laughing while at the same time crying.

Plus, I was starving....

Aaron said "get out, I'm taking your picture!"

I could barely keep a straight face, we laughed so hard.

It had just started to rain and Aaron said "We're not leaving, we're gonna go peach pick'in.

In the RAIN!!!!

Ok, whatever, I said.

On we went.
As we arrived they were closing, so we came home with this instead.....
I can't even explain to you how good these are.
When we told the lady who owned the farm that we lived in the "city", she insisted that we buy some peaches.
Now, I know why!

These puppies are double the size of the ones we just bought at the grocery store.

Check this out. Look at the difference.


We decided that we are going to can some of these and we are actually going to do this the right way.

We went and got all of our canning supplies this morning.
Funnel
Canning Bath
Mason Jars
Fruit Fresh


We will be canning this evening so look out for a follow-up post.

This should be fun!
KHAK

PS. In case you didn't know I am a strong believer that things happen for a reason. We were meant to visit the peach farm for a reason. I'll explain later on that, but I will say that our future orchard plan is moving onward. Great ideas and influences were found yesterday!

Cheers to the road less traveled and an 8 hour car trip around SC!

No comments:

Post a Comment